After months of agonizing over a new paint color for my powder room, I recently decided on Restoration Hardware's Silver Sage. I love the way the new color looks in this room, and I'm especially happy that I could re-use all my accessories. All, that is, except for the towels.
I am usually a plain-towel kind of girl, but for the powder room, I like to get a little fancy. Since this room is often used by our guests, I like the hand towels here to be beautiful as well as functional. So I watch for pretty hand towels on sale, and over the years I'd picked up several that worked great with the old color in the powder room. Unfortunately, most of them didn't work nearly so well with the new color.
This towel was pretty new, and was still in excellent condition. I was wishing I could make it work with the new room when it occurred to me that I could just give it a face-lift. I had some fabric left over from another project (don't we all have piles of fabric scraps?) that I knew would look great in my new powder room. So here's what I did:
- I washed and dried my fabric scrap so that it would be pre-shrunk. My mama would be so proud that I remembered to do this.
- I pinned the scrap face-down onto the front of my towel.
- I turned the towel over to the back and, using the design of the towel as a guide, I stitched a seam. My sewing skills are very basic. Straight seams are about all I can do, but that's all I needed for this project. (If you don't even sew straight seams, I think you could complete this project with fabric glue.)
- Once the fabric was stitched in place, I turned the towel over and pressed the fabric down.
- I trimmed off the edges with pinking shears.
- Then I folded under the sides and bottom of the fabric, using the sides and bottom of the towel as guides, and pinned it all in place. Since my sewing skills are so elementary, I subscribe to the "pin twice, stitch once" rule.
- Once it was all securely pinned, I stitched it into place. Done!
Now I have a new embellished towel for my new powder room. And the best part is the price: free!
It's not perfect, but it's Imperfectly Beautiful, and that's good enough for me.
I'm so grateful to my precious friend Amanda for giving me this chance to connect with her readers. I hope you'll come visit me at Imparting Grace. I'll be so glad to see you there!
Thanks so much to my dear sweet friend Richella for guest posting for me today! This woman is such an angel and i am blessed to call her my friend. Be sure and stop by her blog and say hi. And of course, leave her lots and lots of nice comments here, as well. Hope y'all are having a wonderful week! I miss y'all so much and look forward to getting back with you soon.