Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Online Shopping Disaster


It all started out innocently enough. I needed a new light fixture for my bathroom. And by needed, I mean REALLY needed, like we haven't had light in there for the past 8 months needed. So anyway....I finally found one that I could afford and also looked nice on Overstock.com.I have shopped overstock many many times and I'm always very pleased with my purchases. The reviews on this fixture were great, the picture looked nice, and the $47 price tag was the hook, line, and sinker! Comparative fixtures of this size and shape were $100 - $150 at Lowe's and Home Depot. I was rather pleased with myself for finding such a good deal. Well, I should have known something was up...you always get what you pay for, right? Here is what I found when I excitedly ripped open the box........



Speckled, splatter paint looking glass globes and........



.....speckled, splatter paint looking wrought iron. Oh heavenly days...I thought this look went away about 20 years ago. Apparently not. They still sell it and they are deeply discounted on Overstock!!! And yours truly got suckered by the cheap price.




I was super bummed that I was going to have to go spend another $25 or $30 to update the glass shades. But, yesterday my dad called me from our local discount salvage store (aptly named "Dirt Cheap"). He had found some sconces with the shades for $1.25. Yes, ONE DOLLAR and TWENTY FIVE CENTS a piece! The boxes are trashed and watered damaged, but all the parts are in there and nothing is broken. SCORE! The sconces are really cute with a brushed nickel finish, but sadly I don't have any use for them. They will go into the massive never ending garage sale pile.




Oh yes......I can breathe again. Those splatter painted ones were seriously giving me the heebies. These are nice and simple...just the way I like it.



And for now, I can live with the subtle splattered look on the iron part. When the light is on, you really can't see it...or so I like to tell myself. No really, it's not so bad. And if I get to the point where I just can't stand it anymore, I can always slap on a quick coat of spray paint, right?


And just to clear things up.....I will still shop with overstock again.. They have amazing deals, great merchandise, and fabulous customer service. Almost everything in my master bedroom makeover came from them....zebra rug, mattelesse coverlet, shams, sheets, pillows, bedskirt, etc. This one little mishap will not deter me from shopping with them again. I have no affiliation with this company by the way...I just didn't want to give them a bad name.
:)


15 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm so sorry. How many times has something like that happened to me? I'm so glad your Dad came through!

Melissa said...

P.S. Just go get a door :)

Tillie said...

eek! so glad you found a super-cheap save!!

Richella Parham said...

So glad you had a happy ending to this story! Your dad rocks, doesn't he?

Jennifer said...

I ADORE DIRT CHEAP!!! I was just there this week and scored some amazing things....for under $25. It's a fantastic place for us crafty ladies!!!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I hate when stuff like this happens but at least it all worked out in the end. Huh? :) I think it looks nice now.

Lorie said...

Oh! I love the shape of the new globes so much more! I am glad it all turned out okay and wish I had a Dirt Cheap by me!!!

Anonymous said...

Yikes. Good score on the covers, such a wonderful daddy.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

That looks much better! What a great deal on the shade. Those kind of things totally make my day. I love a good deal!

Looks great!

XOOX
Jen

Amaco said...

I follow your blog and I'm wondering if you've ever tried Rub 'n Buff? This could be a way for you to refinish the black for a different effect. This metallic product from AMACO made from carnuba wax comes in a tube and works well on porous surfaces. We have 17 different colors - I'd be happy to send you some to try on your fixture. Check out all the colors at http://bit.ly/cjZjBh. I've seen brass chandeliers transformed to look good as new. I think this could be a good option for you.

squareby said...

Wow. Those speckled shades really are hideous. Are those things still being manufactured? Eesh.

Nishant said...

so glad you found a super-cheap save!!
free classified india

Pam Walter said...

The new look is a vast improvement! Wish I had a Dirt Cheap here. www.satisfiedsole.com

Breeana said...

Hahaha!

Yusuf Anggara said...

the best online web stores . .

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin