Tuesday, June 1, 2010

DIY Starburst Mirror




In honor of our weekly theme, "hardware store", over at The CSI Project.....I decided to fashion a starburst mirror out of paint sticks. Did you know they will happily give you a bag full of them if you ask??? I went in prepared to pay for them, but they were so nice and happy to help me out. I proceeded to skip out the front door, smiling all the way to my car! I could hardly wait to get started.




First, I lined them all up outside and gave them a coat of black spray paint. Then I painstakingly silver leafed each and every one of those blasted sticks. It was not as easy as they make it look. I googled and you tubed and read all the tutorials....I thought I was soooooooo prepared. HA! That stuff is tricky. These are the first few I did. I wanted them a bit distressed, but not quite this much. I eventually got the hang of it.....thankfully. I decided to use silver leaf because I like the look it gives. I was going for a faux antiqued mirrored look. But, really I think you could achieve something similar with spray paint.




As you can see, I am not a patient woman. Instead of cutting the sticks like a normal person would do, I decided to just go ahead and break them with my man hands. Seriously. Then I used hot glue to attach the sticks to the back of the mirror. I used an epoxy, E-6000, to attach the hanger.





The mirror is actually a candle mirror from the craft store. They were half off last week, so this whole project cost me $3.50. The paint sticks were free and the silver leaf sheets and spray paint I already had on hand. I LOVE a really cool, really cheap DIY project!





I really like the way it brightens up this space. Now I need to work on recovering the lampshades that blend right into the walls. And the shutters definitely need some sanding and a bit of glaze to tone them down. As soon as I start one project...I always find at least 10 more mini projects within that project that need attention too! My list is never ending. But actually I like it that way. I would be lost without my LIST of things to do.......and really BORED!



The Girl CreativeThe DIY Show OffSumo's Sweet Stuff



28 comments:

Melanie said...

I LOVE how your sunburst mirror project turned out! What a great & clever use for the paint sticks! I have always been so tempted to purchase the silver or gold leaf sheets, they seem so fun to try...hmmm, may have to think up a project this summer! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jaclyn said...

Great job! I love how it turned out.

Kenzie said...

I love the mirror! It's so pretty!! And the shutters already look 100 times better!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very clever, Amanda! I never would have thought of this. You must have had patience to do the silver leaf on all those sticks!

Ashley @ Bride on a Budget said...

Very clever! It looks great in that space.

During wedding planning, I learned they would give you the paint sticks for free and I was giddy.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I LURVE it! :)

BLJ Graves Studio said...

This is so creative and I love how it turned out.

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

Love your sunburst! :)

Leslie said...

Oh.So.Cute! I'm just going to have to try this. Come by and link this project up at this week's Bargain Brag Wednesday: http://www.bargainshoppingparadise.com/2010/06/bargain-brag-wednesday-6268.html

Thanks for sharing!

Whimsy Smitten said...

Super cute, and the shutters look awesome. I so enjoy the little vignettes you share. Thanks for the inspiration!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh my goodness! This is such a GREAT idea!

Pam Walter said...

Great idea! Looks like the retro-50's decor. www.satisfiedsole.com

Adventures of a CrAzY LaDy! said...

That looks great!!!

Kimm at Reinvented said...

I KNEW it, you ARE a genius!!! I'm flabbergasted. :) Awesome.

a little lovely said...

i love how everything looks together! good job :)

Em @ Bunch of Scrap said...

AWESOME! You are so smart! The shutters looks great in your signature shade as well ;)

Rene @ cottage and vine said...

What a great idea! You have my wheels turning for sure.

blueskiesandgreenlights said...

Your sunburst mirror idea is so genius!!! I have been looking for a cool mirror for our master bedroom, and this is perfect. I am definitely going to borrow this idae. Any tips with the silver leaf??? I have never done this before. Is it ok with you if I feature you on my blog?? My blog is so new...http://www.bsandgl.blogspot.com/

Also, I just want you to know how totally creative and awesome you are. I love your spring table runner project. I am using it for my dining room. You are such an inspiration!!!

Porch Days said...

That is a very clever idea on the mirror. And it being low cost makes it even better!

Decorchick! said...

Your mirror is way cool. I was looking for a starburst mirror for our new master, but should have made one! Duh!! Great job. Visiting from Sumos Sweet Stuff and a new follower!

JHill said...

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

★All Thingz Related★ said...

What a terrific idea!
Thanks for sharing @ Anything Related No.11!
{Rebekah}

Michelle @ Sweet Something said...

How fun! Love how that turned out, great job!

Rebecca said...

How clever! I love the look of the silver leaf (I never would've guessed those were paint sticks!).

Saw you at House of Grace. http://happybabydesigns.blogspot.com

Cheryl said...

Genius! Fab idea. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

Nancy's Couture said...

WOW!!! No one would ever no they were paint stirs! I love the mirror!!!!

Kara@ Creations by Kara said...

Paint sticks? That is awesome! No one would ever guess. Thanks so much for linking up this fab project. :)

Tiffany said...

What a great idea! Another item to put on my weekend to-do list!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin